Last summer we here at Frolab had the most amazing opportunity to document the making of the Robert Glasper Experiment’s new album “Black Radio.” The majority of the LP was recorded over 4 magical days in LA and it was a true honor to witness some of our generation’s greatest musicians create and collaborate in a series of one takes. Robert Glasper, Chris ‘Daddy’ Dave, Derrick Hodge and Casey Benjamin – all masters at their respective instruments – were captivating subjects as we floated from set up to set up capturing video of their creative process. Then add in the special guest artists that blessed the mic – KING, Lupe Fiasco, Lalah Hathaway, Stokley, Ledisi, Shafiq, Yasiin Bey (who was then known as Mos Def), Bilal… those four days are easily some of our best of 2011 and now that the album is set for release, it is EASILY up for the best album of 2012.
A portion of the footage we captured is shared here in this Behind the Scenes EPK where you see a bit of the studio process and hear Rob talk about the relationships with the guests and the band, highlighting the tracks “Afro Blue” featuring Erykah Badu, “Always Shine” feat. Lupe Fiasco & Bilal, a warm and sultry cover of Sade’s “Cherish the Day” by R&B heiress Lalah Hathaway, “Ah Yeah” feat Musiq Soulchild and Chrisette Michele and the title track “Black Radio” featuring Yasiin Bey.
VIDEO captured & edited by FROLAB
1. Lift Off/Mic Check (featuring Shafiq Husayn)
2. Afro Blue (featuring Erykah Badu)
3. Cherish The Day (featuring Lalah Hathaway)
4. Always Shine (featuring Lupe Fiasco & Bilal)
5. Gonna Be Alright (F.T.B.) (featuring Ledisi)
6. Move Love (featuring KING)
7. Ah Yeah (featuring Musiq Soulchild & Chrisette Michele)
8. Consequence Of Jealously (featuring Meshell Ndegeocello)
9. Why Do We Try (featuring Stokley Williams)
10. Black Radio (eaturing Mos Def)
11. Letter to Hermoine (featuring Bilal)
12. Smells Like Teen Spirit